On April 23 and 24, 143 participants joined us in person and remotely for the 11th edition of CECI's Défi sportif. A record amount of $77,536.36 was raised for our various projects around the world, exceeding the initial goal of $75,000! Runners gathered at Parc Jean-Drapeau for the 21K, 10K, 5K and 1K (kids' race).
With this excellent goal, we could win one of the prizes offered by Canada Running Series the company that organizes the Défi sportif. We are keeping our fingers crossed as the winners will be announced during the week of July 4th.
This year, five CECI projects were represented by the following sports teams:
- Team Benin for the support of women's entrepreneurship in Benin to develop greater financial autonomy.
- Team Great Lakes Africa for greater autonomy and access to education for marginalized women and girls in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, and Burundi.
- Team Haiti to support a women's micro-enterprise to modernise their cocoa processing equipment.
- Team International Solidarity for supporting CECI's voluntary cooperation programme, which aims to improve the economic and social well-being of 2 million of the most vulnerable and marginalised people in the following eight countries Benin, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Rwanda, Guatemala, Bolivia, Nepal and Haiti.
- Armande Bégin and Yves Pétillon Fund team for the support of women's associations' initiatives in Mali.
We are fortunate to count on your generosity year after year to make this sporting event a success and to carry the torch of CECI even higher. Congratulations to our runners and a big thank you to our donors for their contribution to the success of this event.
With your help, you are changing lives!
The CECI Charity and Sport Challenge photos are available on Facebook
You can still complete the survey to share your opinion about the CECI Charity and Sport Challenge