Any development worthy of the name must necessarily strive to be democratic, fair, environmentally friendly, and respectful of human rights, particularly women’s and minority rights.
Local development is a process whereby a community becomes the driver of change in its environment with the goal of improving its living conditions. Local development rests firmly on two pillars: local governance and socioeconomic development.
CECI supports local development by following a five-point strategy:
- training for development actors (stakeholders);
- implementation of a fund to support initiatives contained in local development plans;
- strengthening of gender equality;
- development of sustainable environmental management techniques;
- a social and solidarity economy approach.