Leave for Change is an innovative initiative of Uniterra. In partnership with the Canadian private and institutional sectors, the program sends volunteers to Southern countries where Uniterra is already working with local partners. The volunteers carry out highly focused mandates with specific targets to meet. During their two-to-four-week stay in the host country, they are financially supported by their employers.
Today, about twenty Canadian companies are giving their employees financial inducements to put their skills to work combating poverty during their annual vacation time.
When you join Leave for Change as an employer, you:
- invest in the development of your human resources
- demonstrate your leadership in corporate social responsibility, both internationally and locally, and
- in return, you enhance public recognition and employee pride in your enterprise
As an employee, you:
- expand your professional horizons by gaining a better understanding of our globalized societies and markets
- take part in a rewarding, unforgettable experience
- achieve quick and tangible results in a specific development project
To see the list of available positions, visit the Leave for Change section on the Uniterra site.
If you are an employer interested in becoming a partner, write to infoL4C@wusc.ca
“The entrepreneurial fiber is there! People on the ground are striving to succeed, all they need is for us to support their development. Meanwhile Canadian businesspeople are in a unique position to get involved in West Africa and to benefit from the experience.”
Jean Gattuso, Chief Operating Officer, A. Lassonde inc., on returning from Mali in March 2009 after fulfilling a Leave for Change mandate. Mr. Gattuso returned from his meetings with women shea butter producers full of enthusiasm, with a new vision of Africa.